for Musical Theatre Southwest's Production of
In the Heights
Saturday, March 31
10:00 am – 12:30 pm
at the MTS Center for Theatre
6320 Domingo Rd NW
Albuquerque, NM 87108
Here is an incredible opportunity to meet the Directors, Music Director and Choreographer of our upcoming production of In the Heights! Learn more about the production and get some tips on auditioning.
Learn callback music and the choreography that will be used at the auditions!
Sign up for individual workshops or for all of them. We look forward to seeing you there!
Music & Lyrics by
Quiara Alegria Hudes
Gigi Bella Guajardo
Co-Directed and Choreographed by
June 8th – July 1st, 2018
Fridays & Saturdays: 7:30 PM, Sundays: 2:00 PM
at the MTS Center for Theatre
Tickets go on sale
- Workshop: Saturday, March 31, 2018
- Auditions (by appointment)
– April 12th @ 6:00 pm
– Dance/Movement: Saturday, April 15 @ 10:00 am
– Callbacks: Saturday, April 15 – times TBA
- Rehearsals: Evenings and Saturday’s, April 18 – June 1
- Tech week (no conflicts permitted): June 2 – 7
The directors would like to state that while we encourage ALL ETHNICITIES to audition, the nature of this production is a celebration and representation of a community. We are deeply committed to casting this show according to the script.
ALL ROLES ARE OPEN.
- Usnavi (Lead): Latino/Hispanic, 20’s-30’s. Owner and manager of a Washington Heights bodega. Seeking an excellent rapper and storyteller with great comedic timing and stage presence.
- Benny (Lead): African-American, 20’s. Usnavi’s best friend, ambitious hard worker who dreams of being a successful businessman. Pop/R&B tenor and featured rapper.
- Sonny (Supporting): Latino/Hispanic, Teens. Usnavi’s younger cousin. A budding ladies’ man with big ideas for his community. Seeking a great comedic actor with rap skills. Dance/movement skills a plus.
- Kevin Rosario (Supporting): Latino/Hispanic, 40’s. Nina’s Father and owner of a taxi dispatch company. Worked his whole life to provide opportunity for his wife & daughter. Baritone.
- Graffiti Pete (Supporting): Any Ethnicity, Teens-20’s. A graffiti artist. Seeking an excellent hip hop dancer for this featured dance role. Rap/vocal skills a plus.
- Piragua Guy (Supporting): Latino/Hispanic, 30’s-40’s. Sells shaved ice from his cart on the street. Sings several features including two solo numbers. Mariachi vocal style and movement skills a plus.
- Male Ensemble: Any ethnicity, 20’s. Seeking versatile performers to play citizens of Washington Heights. Ensemble roles are VERY INVOLVED and actors should be skilled singers with experience in hip hop, latin dance, and partnering.
- Abuela Claudia (Lead): Latina/Hispanic, 50+ (to play 70’s.) The nurturing matriarch of the neighborhood. Immigrated to NYC from Cuba in 1945 to work as a maid. Seeking a vocal powerhouse performer with strong emotional storytelling ability.
- Vanessa (Lead): Latina/Hispanic, 20’s. Confident and ambitious, saves every penny to someday move out of the Heights. Seeking a great pop singer and excellent dancer with experience in partnering.
- Nina Rosario (Lead): Latina/Hispanic, 20’s. Stanford dropout, worried about how her recent failures will reflect on her family, apprehensive about moving back to the Heights. Seeking an excellent pop vocalist and passionate actor. Movement skills a plus.
- Daniela (Supporting): Latina/Hispanic, 30’s-40’s. Owner of the local salon and neighborhood gossip. Sings several vocal features. Seeking a fiery comedic actor with strong vocal ability. Movement/Dance skills a plus.
- Camilla Rosario (Supporting): Latina/Hispanic, 30’s-40’s. Nina’s mother. Has a strong sense of family duty and is fed up with the conflict between her husband & daughter. Seeking a strong actor with commanding presence and vocal ability. Alto.
- Carla/Young Claudia (Supporting): Latina/Hispanic, Teens (to play 14.) Carla works for Daniela as an assistant at the Salon. Naive and curious, featured singer. Same actor will double as young Abuela Claudia, performing a dance feature in “Paciencia Y Fe.” Seeking a great singer with dance skills.
- Female Ensemble: Any ethnicity, 20’s. Seeking versatile performers to play citizens of Washington Heights. Ensemble roles are VERY INVOLVED and actors should be skilled singers with experience in hip hop, latin dance, and partnering.
What to Prepare
Auditionees should prepare a 1-2 minute song or rap that best shows off musical skill and vocal range. You may sing/rap from the show, you may also perform your audition in Spanish. Bring sheet music in the correct key, an accompanist will be provided. (Sheet music not required for rap auditions.) If available, bring headshot and resume, stapled together.
Movement/Dance callbacks will be given at vocal auditions. After movement and dance
callbacks, actors may be emailed sides from the script for role-specific callbacks.